Sometimes keeping things simple is the tastiest thing you can do. Quick, easy and using store cupboard ingredients, these buttermilk crepes are an old favourite of the Eversfield team. Pancake day or not, we love these organic buttermilk crepes packed with sweet and savoury fillings.
Makes approximately 10 pancakes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 125g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 200ml buttermilk
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp melted butter or light oil (vegetable or sunflower)
- Sieve the flour and salt into a large bowl to combine and make a well in the centre.
- Crack the eggs into the well and begin whisking to slowly combine with the flour.
- Mix the buttermilk and water in a jug and gradually add to the egg in the centre. Whisk until completely combined and free from lumps.
- Whisk in the melted butter or oil.
- Heat a small shallow frying pan or skillet brushed with a little oil.
- When beginning to smoke the pan is hot enough to start cooking on. Use a cup or ladle to add mixture to the pan. Add only enough to thinly coat the bottom of the pan – swirl the pan to ensure it is evenly coated.
- Use a palette knife or spatula to lift the edge of the pancake. It is ready to flip when golden and lifts easily from the pan.
- Have fun flipping the pancakes, or use the spatula or palette knife for ease. Cook until golden on both sides and serve.
Tip: Great sprinkled with lemon and sugar, spread with nut butter and sliced banana or rolled around savoury toppings. Check our topping ideas page for inspiration.