Showcase the best of summer tomato season and use up the last of your sourdough loaf with this zingy, sweet salad.
Cooking time: 10 minutes prep plus 1-2 hours soaking
½ red onion, sliced finely
200g tomatoes, cherry or vine tomatoes
1 red or yellow pepper
200g stale sourdough bread
2 tbsp organic cyder vinegar
2 tsp capers
2 anchovies, finely chopped
½ garlic clove, crushed
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Handful fresh basil, chopped or torn
- Add the sliced onion to a bowl of cold water with a dash of salt and leave to soak for up to an hour to soften.
- Use a gas hob or blowtorch to blacken the pepper, wrap in clingfilm and leave for 20 minutes.
- Tear the stale bread into chunks and toss in a large salad bowl with the vinegar.
- Drain the onion and add to the salad bowl with the capers and tomatoes.
- Scrape the blackened skin from the pepper and cut into strips, then add to the salad
- Whisk the chopped anchovies, garlic and olive oil together and season. Pour over the salad and toss. Sprinkle with the fresh basil and leave to stand for up to an hour to soak before tucking in.