Han & Becks' Valentines Pan Fried Wild Scallops in Brown Butter
with Forest Mushroom Purée, Spinach Sauce and Watercress
The perfect Valentines Starter.
For the Scallops and Mushrooms:
6 Wild Scallops
Squeeze of Fresh Lemon Juice
10 Small Mushrooms
For the Mushroom Purée:
70g of Mixed Mushrooms
1 ½ tbsp Olive Oil
Generous Pinch of Salt
1 Clove Garlic
15g Red Onion
¼ tsp Mushroom
1 Spring fresh Thyme
For the Spinach Sauce:
100ml Vegetable Stock
½ Clove Garlic
½ tsp Grated Fresh Ginger
60g Fresh Spinach
10g Double Cream
A Small Handful of Fresh Watercress
6 Very Thin Slices of Apple
We suggest getting all of your ingredients out and prepared before you start cooking.
- If there is any mud or dirt on your mushrooms, give them a gentle wipe with a damp cloth but avoid rinsing or submerging them under water
- Pre-heat your oven to Gas Mark 5/190C/170 Fan
- Tear your mushrooms roughly into quarters and place on a baking tray
- Roughly chop your onion to be about half the size of your torn mushrooms (you don’t need to be too particular about this) and add to the tray
- With the flat part of your knife, gently crush your garlic clove, keeping the skin on, then add to the tray. Add your salt, butter and olive oil then add half of your porcini mushroom powder and toss to coat your mushrooms
- Place in the oven and roast for around 18-20 minutes until the mushrooms and onion are soft and crisped at the edges
Whilst the mushrooms are roasting:
- Put your milk, thyme, salt and the rest of your porcini powder into a pan. When your mushrooms have almost finished roasting in the oven, bring your milk mixture to a simmer.
- When finished, add your mushrooms and onion into the milk, remove the garlic skins and add the soft garlic too. Let it all simmer on a low heat for 2 minutes before removing your sprig of thyme.
- Transfer the mixture to the blender and blitz until almost smooth. Set aside.
- Add the stock, ginger, garlic and butter to a pan and simmer on a low heat for about 8 minutes until the stock thickens and reduces slightly. Add the spinach and cook until wilted then transfer to a blender, add your cream and blitz until smooth.
- Keep the sauce and purée covered whilst you cook your scallops.
Cook your scallops and mushrooms:
- Place a frying pan (big enough to fit all of your scallops and mushrooms but not much bigger) on a low heat and add the butter in small cubes (so it melts evenly and doesn’t burn). Move the pan around every so often to make sure it’s heating evenly. The butter should melt and start foaming a little
- Once it starts to turn a golden brown, add your scallops and mushrooms and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked. The butter will continue cooking to become a nutty brown colour and smell equally nutty and wonderful
- Once cooked, take off the heat, thinly slice your apple into small batons
- Plate up each of the components, sprinkle over your watercress and enjoy!