Sweet, smoky and melt-in-the-mouth – slow-cooked brisket is the star of the show at this summer’s barbecue. Our ready-smoked flat brisket is good to go whatever the weather.
Cooking time: 5 hours
1.2kg organic smoked beef brisket
500ml organic beef broth
2 onions, peeled and thickly sliced into rings
For the barbecue sauce
3 garlic cloves
2 shallot, peeled and chopped
200ml tomato puree
1 tbsp cyder vinegar
2 tbsp treacle
150ml Worcestershire sauce
1 lemon, juiced
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp mustard
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/130°C/Gas mark 2.
- Heat a little olive oil in a small pan and lightly fry the shallots and garlic with the smoked paprika. Transfer to a food processor with the remaining barbecue sauce ingredients and blend until smooth and thick.
- Lay the sliced onion on the base of a large roasting tin with the flat brisket on top.
- Rub a third of the barbecue sauce onto the meat and mix another third with the beef broth and pour into the base of the tin. Cover the tin tightly with tin foil.
- Roast in the oven for around 5 hours (anywhere between 4 and 6 hours should be fine) until the meat tender and easily pulled apart with a fork.
- Baste the brisket and leave to rest for at least 15 minutes in its juices before serving. The brisket can be finished on a hot barbecue for a charred, smoky finish. Whenever you’re ready to serve, use forks to pull the meat apart and pile into fresh rolls or wraps with crunchy slaw, salads and the leftover barbecue sauce.