We all know a Turkey makes a delicious roast. That’s why we traditionally go back to it year after year, at that time where good food matters most. First of all, it’s a big bird! There’s a lot of white meat and dark meat to feed the whole family. And when cooked well, it’s a moist and flavourful centrepiece, no matter what time of year.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Check the exact weight of your turkey to decide on cooking time.
4kg - 2 hours 50
5kg - 3 hours 15
6kg - 3 hours 40
7kg - 4 hours
- Remove the giblets and put them in the fridge. With these, you can make a tasty gravy or batch of stock depending on what you need.
- Preheat your oven for at least 20 minutes to 220°C/200°C Fan/425°F/Gas mark 7.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting dish with about an inch of water in the bottom.
- Rub the skin of the turkey generously with organic butter, sea salt and black pepper and cover well (no gaps for moisture to escape!) with foil.
- Pop the turkey in the middle of the oven.
- Cook your turkey for 45 minutes before lowering the oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan/375°F/Gas mark 5.
- For the last 30 minutes of cooking time, remove the foil so the skin can crisp up.
- Rest the bird for at least 20 minutes before carving.