Organic Italian stuffed Porchetta
John Quilter (Chef and Food Busker) creates a traditional Italian stuffed porchetta, putting the finest organic pork belly and loin from Eversfield Organic as his centre piece.
Large pork belly and loin
Salt and pepper
Fennel seed powder
100g dry apricots, diced
350g chicken livers, diced
500g pork mince
2 sprigs of rosemary
2 sprigs of sage
8 sprigs of thyme
Zest of ½ lemon
1 bread roll, crust off, soaked in milk
50–70ml of sweet sherry
70g pine kernels
- Fry the onion until translucent, then add the pork mince and brown off. Then add the herbs and chicken livers, cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the livers are well browned. Then deglaze the pan with the sherry.
- Take off the heat, add the bread and squeeze away excess milk. Add the apricots, pine kernels, parmesan and lemon zest.
- Trim the fat off 20% of the outside of the loin side as this is the end that will be rolled inside of the joint.
- Butterfly the loin part and score the inside so the meat takes on the flavouring. Then season with the salt and pepper as well as the fennel powder.
- Now add the stuffing and roll and tie the joint. Smear the outside of the joint with vegetable oil and season.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and cook the joint for 30 minutes. Then cover with tin foil, reduce heat to 140°C and cook for 3 hours.
- Serve with salsa verde and apple sauce.