You simply can’t beat a fresh, zingy and light lemon meringue pie. Let’s kid ourselves it’s summer already and enjoy this citrusy classic in the cosiness of our own home.
Cooking time: 2 hours (plus an hour prep / chilling pastry)
For the pastry:
175g plain flour
110g cold butter, cut into small cubes
30g icing sugar
a little ice cold water
For the filling:
5 lemons, zested and juiced
125g caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
4 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
For the meringue:
4 egg whites, at room temperature
200g caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
- Put the flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and blitz just until it forms breadcrumbs. Alternatively add to a large bowl and use your fingertips to rub the dry ingredients into the butter to form the same consistency. Add a few drops of very cold water at a time until the mixture binds and can be formed into a ball. Wrap this tightly in cling film and chill for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas Mark 6. Take the pastry from the clingfilm and roll on a lightly floured surface. Use to line a 23cm fluted tart tin and press gently to the edges so there are no gaps between pastry and tin. Use a knife to trim the excess pastry. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice and blind bake for 10 minutes. Then remove the baking beans and paper and bake for a further 5-6 minutes until crisp and golden. Lower the oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas Mark 4.
- While the pastry cooks you can begin the filling. Mix the cornflour lemon zest and caster sugar in a saucepan and gradually add the lemon juice. Cook over a medium heat and stir continuously to thicken. Once bubbling and smooth, remove the mix from the heat and add the butter. Next, beat in the egg yolks and carry on beating for a couple of minutes until glossy and smooth. Return to the heat while stirring for just a couple of minutes to thicken.
- Next add the egg whites to a large mixing bowl and use a mixer to whisk to soft peaks. Add the cornflour and caster sugar a spoonful at a time, allowing the sugar to be properly combined before adding the next spoonful.
- Pour the lemon curd filling into the pastry case and either spoon or pipe the soft meringue onto the top of the curd.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes or until the meringue is lightly golden and crisp to the touch. Remove from the oven and let it sit for at least 1-2 hours before attempting to cut and serve.
Tip: Lovely served with fresh raspberries or a summer berry coulis.