Best served warm from the oven, these cheddar farls are akin to a cheese scone - wonderfully savoury, fluffy and satisfying. Can only be bettered by adding a couple of rashers of our Roam & Relish Honey Smoked Streaky Bacon. And maybe just a smear of creamy organic butter, because why not.
Cooking time: 20 minutes plus 10 prep
450g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp English mustard powder
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds, crushed
150g vintage mature cheddar, grated
280ml buttermilk, mixed with 90ml whole milk
Salt and pepper
4 strings of cherry tomatoes on the vine
12 rashers Roam & Relish Honey Smoked Streaky Bacon
Organic butter, for spreading
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas mark 7. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, 1 teaspoon salt and mustard powder together into a bowl and stir in the mustard seeds and cheddar. Make a well in the centre, add the buttermilk mixture and mix together into a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and very quickly and gently shape it into a 22cm round. Lift it onto a lightly floured non-stick baking sheet and cut into 8 wedges. Separate the wedges to give them room to rise and spread, sprinkle with a bit more flour and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- While the farls are cooking, put the strings of cherry tomatoes into a small roasting tin, drizzle with a little olive oil and season lightly. After the farls have been cooking for 10 minutes, slide the tin of tomatoes alongside the farls and roast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a griddle over a high heat until smoking, reduce the heat to medium and cook the bacon until crisp and golden.
- Remove the farls from the oven, slice them in half and spread with butter. Fill with the bacon rashers and serve with the tomatoes.