Cooking time: 5 minutes prep, 45 minutes cook
200g strong white bread flour
200g spelt flour
125g muesli (plus extra to coat the bread)
1 tsp salt
1 sachet fast action yeast (7g)
1 tbsp honey
250ml warm water
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Shake muesli bag to have a good mix of oats, nuts, seeds and fruits.
- Combine flours, muesli, yeast, salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Add butter, honey, water and lemon juice. Mix together by hand or dough mixer attachment until it all comes together into a ball.
- If you are using a mixer dough hook, carry on mixing for 10 minutes at medium speed. If working my hand, tip the dough onto a floured surface and knead for at least 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Oil a clean bowl. Place the dough in it, cover with cling film.
- Leave to rise for 1 to 1.5 hours in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Heat oven to 220c/fan 200c/gas 7. Place a large baking tray at the bottom of the oven.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and push the air out by pressing all over with your fingertips. Shape the dough into an oval ball. Place in a 900g oiled loaf tin. Wet the top with water and coat with muesli (remove fruits as they would burn in the oven).
- Cover loaf tin with a tea towel and leave to prove for 30 minutes.
- Once you are ready to bake the bread, place the loaf in the oven and add 250ml of water in the baking tray at the bottom of the oven to create steam.
- Bake the bread for 15 minutes at 220c/fan 200c/gas 7.
- Reduce heat to 190c/fan 170c/gas 5 and continue to bake for 30 minutes.
- Once done, leave the bread to cool a little then carefully remove it from the loaf tin and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.