A family classic, spag bol is home cooking at its finest. Deep, rich beef ragu atop al dente organic spaghetti, finished with fresh basil and a generous sprinkling of tangy Parmesan.
Cooking time: 25 minutes, plus minimum 1 hour oven cooking
400g organic beef steak mince
1 stick of celery
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tsp tomato puree
1 tin cherry tomatoes
300ml beef stock
1 tsp dried basil
Half tsp dried oregano
Spaghetti, roughly 100g per person
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas mark 4.
- Finely chop the onion, carrot and celery and add to a deep, oven-proof dish that has a lid with a big dash of olive oil and the tomato puree, turn on a medium heat.
- When soft and golden, add some black pepper, the basil and oregano, the garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Add a glug of red wine and the stock then crumble in the beef mince, turn the heat up slightly and add the tin of tomatoes. Allow to simmer on the hob for 20 minutes or so, stirring often.
- Put the lid on the dish and place in the oven. The longer you cook it the better so minimum oven time would be 1 hour.
- Stir and taste, you may want more salt or more herbs etc. If there is too much juice for you, take the lid off and pop it back in the oven until it has reduced to how you like it.
- Serve with spaghetti, a punchy salad like rocket and shave parmesan on top with a drizzle of olive oil.