Our juicy lamb meatballs make the ideal partner for zingy salsa, deep spices and cool mint yoghurt, all brought together in perfect harmony with a soft homemade tortilla wrap. Goes well with all sorts – try roasted aubergine, hummus, feta, pomegranate and crisp lettuce.
Cooking time: 30 minutes plus 15 minutes prep (plus 1 hour for dough resting)
For the tortillas
300g plain flour
½ tsp salt
30ml vegetable oil
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp water or milk
For the filling
Lamb & Mint Meatballs
4 tbsp natural yoghurt
Handful fresh mint, finely chopped
200g cherry vine tomatoes, quatered
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
Salt & pepper
Handful fresh parsley, chopped
½ tbsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the oil and half the water. Use your hand to combine the dry ingredients into the wet, adding a little more water if needed to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Cover with cling film and allow to rest for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the cherry tomatoes, red onion, vinegar, sugar, seasoning and cumin in a bowl. Stir and leave aside to soften until you serve.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C/Gas Mark 6. Place the meatballs onto a baking tray and cook for 15-20 mins until cooked through.
- Stir the mint through the natural yoghurt.
- Remove the dough from the cling film and divide into 6-8 balls. On a lightly floured surface roll out each ball into thin rounds about 2mm thick.
- In a heavy frying pan or griddle, fry each tortilla over a high heat for about 30 seconds on each side until just cooked and slightly brown on each side. Don’t overcook them or they’ll be tough and hard. Keep cooked tortilla warm under a slightly damp tea towel until you serve.
- Take the meatballs from the oven and let them cool slightly, cut them into halves. Grab a tortilla and get stuffing with lamb, salsa, salad leaves, and a generous dollop of minty yoghurt! Add extra fillings as you wish and dig in.