A little untraditional for your Christmas dinner, who says we have to be conventional? We love earthy, peppery celeriac slowly cooked in a creamy, cheesy bake with thinly sliced potatoes.
1kg potato, peeled and thinly sliced
1 celeriac, peeled and thinly sliced
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 knob of butter
284ml Jersey double cream
200ml Jersey whole milk
50g parmesan or your cheese of choice, grated
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas mark 6.
- Place a deep casserole dish on the hob and lightly fry the onion and garlic in the butter for a few minutes.
- Add the sliced potatoes and celeriac and generously season.
- Whisk together the milk, double cream, mustard and half the parmesan before adding to the dish.
- Smooth the layered mixture over and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 1 to 1 ½ hours until the cheese is golden and bubbling and the veg is soft and cooked through.