A very special piece of beef perfect for two. Also known as a rib eye on the bone, this cut is matured on the bone and beautifully marbled for an incredibly tender bite and delectable flavour. Keep accompaniments simple, think homemade chunky chips and this straightforward herb butter.
Cooking time: 30 minutes plus 10 minutes resting
1 Côte de Bœuf (approx. 600g)
70g butter, soft
10g fresh parsley, finely chopped
10g fresh tarragon, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt & pepper
- Mash together the butter, fresh herbs, garlic and a good few grinds of black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas mark 7.
- In a heavy bottom frying pan or griddle pan, sear the Côte de Bœuf for two minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a roasting tray, add about half of the butter on top and cook in the oven for 15 minutes for rare, 20 minutes for medium. Add more of the butter for the last few minutes of cooking to keep the steak moist.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a board and top with any remaining butter while the steak rests for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with chunky homemade chips, fresh salad or steamed greens.