A great recipe for the kids to get on board eating organic veg…and equally naughty to satisfy a sweet tooth. These brownies are devilishly good – rich, chocolatey and moreish, with an earthy flavour from our organic beetroot.
Makes about 18 squares
Cooking time: 45 minutes plus 20 minutes prep
500g organic beetroot
100g organic unsalted butter, melted
200g dark chocolate, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g soft brown sugar
3 organic eggs
80g plain flour
40g organic cocoa
- Peel and chop the beetroot, placing in a large microwaveable bowl. Add a splash of water, cover and microwave for 10 minutes on high or until cooked through and tender. Allow to cool and then blitz in a food processor until almost smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tin.
- Melt the butter and stir in the cocoa and chocolate.
- In a separate bowl whisk the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until pale and creamy. Gradually add the chocolate mix into the eggs, whisking as you go. Then add the beetroot and stir.
- Sift the flour into the wet mixture and use a big spoon to fold until fully combined.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until just set and lightly risen.
- Allow to cool in the tin before cutting into squares and digging in.