The Tour of Britain 2021
Whizzing past our Farm Shops and Dartmoor Inn on September 6th
We’re so excited that the 17th edition of the UK’s most prestigious and longest running international cycle race, The Tour of Britain, will be whizzing past our Tavistock and Totnes Farm Shops and the Dartmoor Inn, Merrivale on Monday the 6th of September in the second stage of the race.
Tour of Britain
Following a year off due to the pandemic, this year’s celebrated Tour of Britain cycle race returns between Sunday 5th September and Sunday 12th September. The Tour of Britain 2021 route will follow the planned route for 2020, which starts in Penzance and finishes in Aberdeen.
For the first time, our neighbouring county Cornwall will host the start of the premier road cycling event, known as the Grand Départ. The world’s best riders will come together in Penzance to undertake the first stage of the race which finishes in Bodmin on Sunday the 5th.
The following day sees the riders return to the roads of Devon for the second stage, which starts in the new town of Sherford on the outskirts of Plymouth and ends in the city of Exeter. The 183.9km ride (that’s just for stage two – we’re tired even thinking about it) is set to brush the fringes of Totnes town centre, before heading down Plymouth Road, Tavistock and riding through the heart of Merrivale on Dartmoor.
It just so happens that these locations are also home to a few Eversfield Organic pitstops. Our Totnes Farm Shop, Bar & Café is a mere 12-minute walk from the Western Bypass upon which the cyclists will be riding, expected anytime between 11:30am and 12:00pm. Our Tavistock Farm Shop gets even closer to the action as the race continues just one street down from our shop at West Steet between 1:45pm and 2:30pm. Why not pick up a takeaway organic coffee (and maybe a few organic groceries) from our Farm Shops before swinging by to watch the action? Even better, head to our Totnes Farm Café & Bar to refuel with organic food after catching the race.
If you want the best seats in the house, then the Eversfield Organic Dartmoor Inn is the place to be on Monday 6th September at roughly 1:55pm to 2:45pm. The Tour of Britain zooms right past the doors of the Dartmoor Inn, with our outdoor seating area only inches from the road race. Our outdoor seating area at The Little Farm Shed is the perfect place to waste away an afternoon, sipping organic drinks and munching on an organic pasty made (with our very own organic beef) or cake from The Little Farm Shed, although the inn itself is closed on a Monday.
More great news for the world of organic came with the announcement that Gusto Organic Drinks are the official soft drinks sponsor of The Tour of Britain 2021. Gusto Organic, whose drinks we recently launched on our website, in our Farm Shops and at the Dartmoor Inn, pride themselves on producing delicious drinks with the very best ingredients that are ethically sourced.
Their Fairtrade and organic drinks range is available at all the races this summer, including from the Dartmoor Inn and our Shops. Look out for a collaboration between Eversfield Organic and Gusto Organic soon, including a special giveaway for our social media followers and Shop customers. Make sure you’re following the Eversfield Organic Instagram, Twitter and Facebook pages to find out more.
Energy Bars Recipe
Feeling inspired by The Tour of Britain? If you’re thinking of heading out on your own road race, why not make yourself some homemade energy bars to take with you? This simple energy bar recipe is perfect for making bite-sized, energy-filled snacks, using all organic ingredients found here on our website.
- 150g of your choice of Primrose Kitchen Bircher or Muesli (Sour Cherry & Apple, Mulberry & Apple, Apricot & Fig, Beetroot & Ginger or Carrot, Apple & Cinnamon).
- 100g of Eversfield Organic Whole Almonds (roughly chopped)
- 160g Raw Maya Honey or Biona Agave Nectar Light Syrup
- 220g of your choice of Whole Earth Peanut Butter or Nutcessity Nut Butters (Date & Walnut, Caromel Cashew, Coffee & Walnut or Gingerbread & Almond)
- 2 tbsp of Clearspring Coconut Oil (melted)
- 150g your choice of Eversfield Organic Dried Fruit (Dried Currants, Dried Cranberries, Raisins, Dried Apricots or Dried Blueberries)
- Place the organic Bircher or Muesli, organic almonds and organic dried fruit into a bowl.
- Heat the organic honey, organic coconut oil and organic nut butter in a saucepan over low heat until blended.
- Pour the mixture over the Bircher or Muesli, almonds and dried fruit and stir together.
- Once mixed, transfer to a baking dish and flatten until about 1-inch thick.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for around 2-3 hours.
- Chop and store in an airtight container. If stored in the fridge, the bars should last for around 5 days.
Will you be watching The Tour of Britain 2021? If you do make a pitstop at any of our Eversfield Organic locations, be sure to let us know on social media. Instagram @eversfield_organic & @eversfielddartmoorinn, Twitter @eversfieldorg, Facebook Eversfield Organic & Eversfield Organic Dartmoor Inn.