Founded in Bristol almost twenty years ago by Karin Andersson and Ben Flight, The Real Olive Company is dedicated to producing exceptional olives grown in harmony with nature and bursting with Mediterranean goodness that bring moments of sunshine into your life.
Working with small scale, independent, artisan and organic farmers, The Real Olive Company know exactly where their olives and other mouth-watering ingredients come from, meaning you can always enjoy their olives safe in the knowledge that they are pure, natural products.
Over the years, The Real Olive Company have built up a network of farmers who grow olives independently and on a small scale. These organic farmers understand the unhurried rhythms of the olive tree and know from years of experience that the best olives grow where flora and fauna flourish.
From these farmers they have also learnt time honoured ways of preparing and preserving olives without the use of modern artificial preservatives meaning you can enjoy their olives, safe in the knowledge that you really are doing the best for yourself and the planet.
Olive these facts:
- Olives are rich source of oils, minerals and vitamins A, E, K and B.
- Olive trees can live from 300 to 600 years.
- There are 500 million olive trees in Europe.
- The oldest certified olive tree is more than 2000 years old.
- Olives constitute one of the world's largest fruit crops, with more than 25 million acres of olive trees planted worldwide.
- Out of all harvested olives, 90% will be turned into oil, and only 10% will be used as 'table' olives.
- Greece produces around 2.5 million tons of olives per year.
- Did you know 16 olives counts as one of your 5-a-day?
- Three-quarters of the fat found in olives is oleic acid; a type of healthy monounsaturated fat. Olives also contain essential omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Olives are a remarkable source of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.
Karin & Ben in Greece.